Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Language that Texters Cannot Speak


I'd love to say that this entry focuses on how texting is destroying the English Language (which, by the way, it is!), but I have an actually greater concern regarding texting that I need to get out there.
Now, I am certain that there are probably psychological or critical articles out there that address this, though I truly did not perform any research to confirm it.  Regardless, something I witnessed, not too long ago, convinces me that we (being humanity) are in danger of losing our ability to converse in our most basic method of communication: body language.  Moreover, I blame it all on texting.
Now, I know what you are thinking.  "He's just some old, grumpy wizard who hates modern technology."  Not so, I say!  In fact, when the abacus came out, I was first in line.  I think I still have it around here somewhere with my Green Acres lunchbox.  But, I digress... texting... evil.  Got it.  I think that, more and more, people are going to lose the ability to recognize the subtle changes or abrupt alterations in body language, because they are simply no longer able to understand them.  Don't believe me?  Here's what I observed.
Several months ago, I was in a video game store, GameStop actually.  It is one of my favorite stores because it carries games for multiple systems and puts great bargains on used items.  Also, the employees are all a bit crazy, and that makes them perfect for avid gamers.  (See I do like modern technology).  Anyway, I was in the store, perusing the new and used Wii games, when the manager, a friend of mine, left for his break.  In doing so, he left the store in the hands of a gentlemen who was very knowledgeable, but who loved to text, even at work.
At the time, there were two young boys in the store and another gentleman, who was viewing the Xbox games.  I went back to looking over the games the store was offering, and after a few moments, a couple came in.  Now, I worked for some time in a retail store, and you pick up the ability to read people if you pay attention.  This couple was easy to read.
She was dressed to the nines, and he was wearing a tweed jacket and jeans.  She was unhappy, obviously so, and he did not care.  You could clearly see it in the way she moved and the way he ignored her.  Any smart person would have the couple on their own, but the eager, young clerk decided to help.  He was missing all the clues. 
The gentleman was going through the games, even multiple copies, one by one, glancing up to make sure his partner was still there and wearing a smirk as he did so.  She was tapping her foot loudly enough for me to hear it, and it was quite clear she did not want to be there.  Again, the clerk missed it all as he approached them.
"Can I help you?"  He asked politely.
"No." She said, narrowing her eyes (a signal for him to back off).
"Sure.  I would like a game."  He partner said.  "Something exciting."
I could see the train wreck coming, but could not stop watching.
Soon, the clerk was pointing out various games, while the woman became increasingly agitated.  At that point, he made the fatal error.  He noticed a book she was clutching.  The cover showed a beautiful young woman with half a zombie face.  I believe it is called Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies.  Anyway, the clerk says "Oh, from looking at your wife here, I see you are into Zombie Horror."  Unfortunately, due to his accent, of sorts, the last word sounded like an unpleasant word for a call girl.  Sadly, that is what the woman heard.  She rounded on him, and the argument exploded.  In the end, the clerk missed the sale, got a slap on the face, and hid miserably behind the counter after calling mall security.  What an adventure.
Later, the store manager confronted the clerk as to what happened.  As the clerk was explaining, I wandered back into the store, and the clerk told the manger "ask that guy, he was here."  The manager asked me, and I related what I had seen.  The manager then asked the clerk if he had noticed how upset the woman was.  The clerk admitted he did not even see it.  He then said that he was not sure he would have know what to look for.  When we asked the clerk if he paid attention to body language, he told us that it was not something he noticed, and stated clearly that he spoke to most of his friends and family via texts.  "So," he said shrugging, "body language doesn't mean much to me."
Believe it or not, I have heard this and seen it several times since then in various circumstances.  It is scary to behold, and it makes my concern rise.  Body language is key to our interaction and understanding, losing it would be bad indeed. 
Anyway, I am done with my rant at this point.  But, you can get another cool take on body language by looking up the show "Lie to Me."  The show provides a dramatic-comic view of how a person can use body language to almost read your mind.  It is awesome, though it is going off the air.
Well... until we are all just numbers, I'll be watching from all angles.  So, let me know your thoughts, or make a gesture... that works too.  At least for now... (cue scary sequel music).


1 comment:

  1. It might surprise you to know John, that while I do my fair share of texting I agree with what you are saying. I also feel that we lose the advantage of tonal inflection in a conversation of texts. For instance I could text you, " You Rock" and mean it to be completely sarcastic, but you would read it and take it as a compliment. There is a time and place for everything, including texts! Hey, maybe High Schools should have classes now on how to read human emotion , instead of so many computer and technology classes!

    ReplyDelete